2012 in Review

Like many of you, 2012 was a time of intense contradictions, challenges, joys, and paradoxes for me. I saw my life turn upside down as I ventured into the new world of post college emerging adulthood. I stepped more fully into my role as a minister to community college students, and I began work as a part-time contract writer in science education. I got to return to Spain and enjoyed the richness of their food, art, and captivating lifestyle. I said goodbye to some dear friends who moved away to face the wonders of the real world, and made some new ones as my community shifts and bends away from what I knew before. I spent my last minutes of the year singing in Hindi with 16,000 college students, missionaries, pastors, campus ministers, and others in Saint Louis, Missouri. It was a powerful affirmation of my calling into God's mission around the world, and a meaningful picture of every tribe, tongue, and nation represented in His kingdom. But I find it necessary to acknowledge some of the many blessings that I've received this past year.

Without further delay, here are some other things that made the year 2012 for me:

Best Meal:



Paella. Vino. Pan: Can Majó, Barcelona. Nuff said.



Favorite Book:

Yann Martel, Life of Pi

This was a difficult one. Normally I'd designate my own readings by genre, but when I consider the pure pleasure of reading, one that strikes the balance between pathos, depth, and writing style, I'd say I favor this fantastic novel of transoceanic magical realism. Maybe you saw the movie, which was a darn good adaptation. But the book allows you to imagine these scenes yourself, and I was impressed by the consistently spiritual content throughout. Like one character in the book says, it is "a story to make you believe in God."

Runners Up: Rudolfo Anaya, Bless Me, Ultima, George R.R.Martin, A Dance with Dragons





Favorite Film:

The Dark Knight Rises
I'm not going to argue with fans of the second film as to which one is better. They are both fantastic. For DKR, though, director Christopher Nolan reminds us all why he is the master of the craft as he gives us a tale that is at once suspenseful, terrifying, and deeply symbolic of hope, death, and resurrection in the face of systematic evil. I saw this one 3 times in the theater, and was moved every time. How could you not choke up with Alfred's graveside tears? All Bane-voice jokes aside, the movie is accessible for fans of every stripe. This is what movies were supposed to be.

Runner Up: Into Great Silence


Favorite place visited: 
Basilica de la Sagrada Familia, Barcelona.

There's not much I can write without doing this place a petty injustice. It's pretty much a labor of love for the Catalan nation, and of one genius architect in particular. He was devoted Catholic, and worked tirelessly for the last decades of his life on this thing before he died an untimely death in 1926. Almost a century later, it's still surrounded by artisans, scaffolding, and cranes that move masses of stone, glass, and ceramic into a breathtaking sculpture that focuses on different aspects of the life of Christ. When completed in another dozen or so years, it will be the tallest, and certainly most impressive, church building anywhere in the world. If you think the outside is impressive, upon entering and seeing the multicolored stained glass, even the most stalwart atheist would be challenged to acknowledge this place's transcendent beauty.

Runner Up: Edward Jones Stadium and America Center, Saint Louis Missouri


Favorite album: 
David Crowder: Give Us Rest (or A Requiem Mass in C Major [the Happiest of All Keys])

Not even close, here. I probably listened to this album at least five times all the way through. Special significance for me as Crowder, a Baptist, and stalwart flag of the contemporary Christian praise-rock movement, using the form of a Catholic mass as they collaborate with Papist roquero Matt Maher. Lyrically, these are among the most consistently good set of the worship songs I've seen from Crowder, and his talent for tasteful and creative arrangements are not wasted on the sprawling double album. Highlights are "God Have Mercy (Kyrie Eleison)," "O Great Love of God," "Sometimes," and the subdued three-hymn finale, which the band recorded in a church with live background vocals from the congregation.

Runner Up: The Brilliance, Lent


Patron Saint: 




Ok, this one is a tie: Ignatius Loyola and Francis of Assisi. Call me unoriginal, but these guys are every young man's hero when it comes to religious celebrities. Both were foolhardy, vain young men who got humbled big time after trying to win glory for themselves on the battlefield. Both suffered physical ailments throughout their dynamic public ministries, and both founded religious orders that still have influence in the Church today. One is the patron saint of education, and the other, of the environment. These are two things I love. But what gets me about these guys is that their prayer lives were so creative and inspiring that I've begun to integrate their styles into my own spiritual disciplines. Not only were they powerful mystics in touch with some of those deepest human desires for God, they have pretty compelling, movie-worthy stories, too.

These nicely sum up my 2012. What made the year special for you? Any good movies, books, or stories I missed?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Failure: Part II

Ex Machina: Pure Postmodern Filmmaking

The Best of the 90s: Songs