On Writing

I enjoy writing. I want to share. But be aware of what you get yourself into as you scroll (or troll) these posts. 

If you ever have a conversation with me, you'll notice how much of what is going in my heart is expressed in abstract concepts and thoughts. This is a window into my condition, since my postmodern young adulthood tendencies persuade me to throw everything under a subjective light. I am a harsh critic of my own words. Yet stories run deep within my blood, nurtured in my ancestors long ago in the farms of Poland and the high desert of New Mexico. Every moment has a story to tell, just as Jesus stopped and responded when some men audaciously broke into the room where he was teaching for the sake of their paralyzed friend. These moments threaten to slip by if I simply carry on without reflection. 

I've always enjoyed writing, and keep a journal of the deepest rhythms within. This is not that place, but I hope that which stirs me into writing this blog may resonate with you in some small way, as an echo from a hiker on some distant cliff may pause and make you wonder where it came from even though you weren't expecting it. These moments compel us into action, for it is within that we journey to see the truth of life itself, and encounter God's overwhelming love. I don't want to be constrained by my insecurities that whatever I do or say will be challenged, for I was always my harshest critic. Instead, I want to venture through this confusing time with hands open, and an honest willingness to admit that I don't understand it all, nor ever will. But God's work here is to move despite this, to compel my action despite my inadequacy, to free me to write though I often don't have the words.

Maurice Blondel, a Catholic philosopher, writes that

 "...the Gospel attributes to action alone the power to manifest love and to attain God. Action is the abundance of the heart."

That's probably a good summary of my experience coming into ministry at this time, among other things. How's that for a disclaimer?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Failure: Part II

Ex Machina: Pure Postmodern Filmmaking

The Best of the 90s: Songs