Late Have I Loved Thee

Late have I loved thee,
O Beauty so ancient and so new;
late have I loved thee:
for behold you were within me,
and I outside;
and I sought you outside and
in my unlovedness fell upon those lovely 
things that you had made.
You were with me,
and I was not with you.
I was kept from you by those things,
yet had they not been in you,
they would not have been at all.
You called and tried 
to break open my deafness:
and you sent forth your beams
and shone upon me
and chased away my blindess:
you breathed your fragrance upon me,
and I drew in my breath
and I do now pant for you:
I taste you,
and now hunger
and I thirst for you:
you touched me,
and I have burned for your peace.

-Saint Augustine of Hippo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Failure: Part II

Ex Machina: Pure Postmodern Filmmaking

The Best of the 90s: Songs