A Simple Prayer



The voice of the Celtic Christian tradition whispers to me like a cool wind across the windswept sea where it was born centuries ago. I admire its elegance, its simplicity, and the gentleness of its prayers, uttered since Saint Patrick took the great leap of faith to witness to his former captors on stormy Eire. I think that few traditions continue to touch people at that level of immediate vulnerability: pointing beyond the veil of our own experience, while richly engaging the senses at the same time. Such a gift from a land that has known more suffering than peace, that has known more strife than joy through its history.

An excerpt from the prayer book I use in my daily devotion time, The Divine Hours by Phyllis Tickle:


I should like a great lake of finest ale

For the King of kings.
I should like a table of the choicest food
For the family of heaven.
Let the ale be made from the fruits of Faith,
And the food be forgiving love.

I should welcome the poor to my feast,
For they are God's children.
I should welcome the sick to my feast,
For they are God's joy.
Let the poor sit with Jesus at the highest place,
And the sick dance with the angels.
God bless the poor,
God bless the sick,
And bless our human race. 
God bless our food, 
God bless our drink, 
All homes, O God, embrace.

And finally, a simple prayer:

Open, Lord, my eyes that I may see. 
Open, Lord, my ears that I may hear.
Open, Lord, my heart and mind that I may understand.
So shall I turn to you and be healed.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Failure: Part II

Ex Machina: Pure Postmodern Filmmaking

The Best of the 90s: Songs