On the Porch, Helplessness, and Jesus

Most nights I enjoy reading on the front porch of our house, especially when the cool night air sets in and my body rests easier after a long day among so many people. Today I read a woman's words that spoke to me through her experience among the marginalized in Latin America. Tonight her words hit me with the characteristic precision of a prophet and the earnest honesty of a poet. Though she wrote these words only a few months after I was born, they ring with the truth of so many gone before us. It was just what I needed to hear. I'll share an excerpt below, from Penny Lernoux:

I feel like I'm walking down a new path. It's not physical fear or fear of death, because the courageous poor of Latin America have taught me a theology of life that, through solidarity and our common struggle, transcends death. Rather, it is a sense of helplessness--that I who always wanted to be the champion of the poor and am just as helpless--that I, too, must hold out my begging bowl; that I must learn--am learning--the ultimate powerlessness of Christ. It is a cleansing experience. So many things seem less important, or not at all, especially the ambitions.

I ask for Jesus to show up in these quiet moments of reflection. My body responds to the worries of my day with tension and anxiety, and I wonder if I'm taking it all too seriously. I ask, "Where were you today?" as I replay the day's events in my head, but I also need to ask, "Where are you now?" Lernoux reminds me that these are not empty questions, but without eyes of faith, they will return empty. Indeed, I am not alone in these questions. Jesus wants to reveal himself to me. I only pray that I have eyes to see.

I sat on the porch, attempting to relax, these questions lingering with the fog coming quietly in from the sea. I feel the rhythm of my heart fill the silent space in the night, and I open my eyes. As I looked up at the whitewashed liquor store across the street, a homeless man walks by with his belongings packed into a cart and a large plastic tub. I recognized him as he paused to stretch in his simple brown coat. I had met him a few months before as I walked down the street. His name is Aaron. His last request for some spare cash came after a recent stint in the local jail.

Christ of Maryknoll icon



Thank you, Jesus, for showing up. Even in, no, especially in, these unexpected ways.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Failure: Part II

Ex Machina: Pure Postmodern Filmmaking

The Best of the 90s: Songs