Five Things I'll Miss about Roseville



Today marks the last full day I'll spend as a resident of the city of Roseville. Tomorrow I embark on the great adventure towards which I've striven these past six months: the move to the inner city of Fresno to minister to college students there. While I never expected to live here as long as I did, there are a few things that I've learned to love about this place, even though it represents a great contrast from the place that I'm called to live in for this next season of life. It's important to me not to reject the life I've found here, for I need to be conscious of all God's children, rich or poor.

5. The Variety of Food

Roseville is a large suburban center, designed both as a hub for tech business (Hewlett-Packard has a large plant here) and as a center of major shopping outlets. The entire north-central part of the city is outlined in a Specific Plan (to use the urban planning jargon that I was trained in) that guides development around a massive agglomeration of box stores, restaurants, and shopping malls that I normally try to avoid at all costs. On the other hand, all this regional shopping means that there are a higher-than-average amount of good food available. And I'm not talking about Red Robin or Chili's (although there are a few of them here). Take Blue Nami sushi for example. It's menu boasts a 50% off roll special, which means you can eat your fill of delicious stuff and not have to spend exorbitant amounts of money for a few pieces of prepared fish. Call me superficial, but a good deal makes it taste all the better. Other favorite spots? Lollicup (for my occasional Boba fix) Pho Hang (Vietnamese), Jalisco Grill (Mex-American), and The Place (Italian).

4. Valley Views and Sunsets

For some reason, this part of California's central valley is beautiful. On a clear day, your eye can spot landmarks hundreds of miles apart. To the south climbs Mount Diablo, the guardian of the East Bay Area, watching over everything from Concord/Walnut Creek, Stockton, Fairfield and Sacramento. North are the Sutter Buttes, a tumbled collection of eroded lava domes that remain legendary in local Indigenous lore. To the east you can often see the crest of the northern Sierra Nevada, the highest mountain range in the lower 48 states. The highest of these in view, Pyramid Peak, rises above the Desolation Wilderness in El Dorado National Forest and offers some great backpacking, provided you're willing to get a wilderness permit from the Forest Service. Besides these vistas, I'm struck by how often the atmospheric conditions allow for a beautiful sunset. In my daily running routine, I've loved the chance to catch such a sunset to remind me of our God's persistent creativity.

3. Sacramento

Roseville is a spare half hour away from the state's capital, Sacramento, which some call the River City and some call the City of Trees (although to be fair, I've only seen the latter title applied to a water tower off the 5 freeway). The city is called the most diverse city in America. It's got Old Town, college campuses, and a variety of local ethnic enclaves that contribute to California's mix of color. God expresses himself in the midst of unique people groups and cultures, and I'm grateful for the proximity to a city that models well what it looks like for these groups of White, Hispanic, Asian, European, and African Americans to integrate. It boasts a sizable Vietnamese population and even has a section of town called Little Saigon. In addition, the broader metro area is home to the largest community of people from the former Soviet Union in the country. Sure, there are problems that persist in certain neighborhoods related to socioeconomic status, crime, and homelessness, but in many areas of the city, we see a glimpse of God's face in the eyes of the other.


2. A Vibrant Faith Community

Transition is always difficult, but I mark the occasion of my move with the opportunity to reflect on how the Lord has been faithful to provide for me a family of faith along the journey. Two communities stand out in particular. The first way is through the local Catholic Church. I've been able to worship in silence and honor the presence of Jesus at St. Clare Catholic parish, a mere mile away from where I live, where I've seen believers of very diverse backgrounds gather. In particular, I'm touched by the devotion shown by the local Filipino community and the music ministry that allows young people to worship with a variety of instruments and arrangements. The second, more personal community has attended to my needs quite vividly, especially when I got was hospitalized in October. I'm deeply grateful and thank God so much for the faithful people of Horizon Church, my parent's home congregation. Not only did they visit me during the depths of my illness, but they lifted me up in prayer and provided emotional support during my recovery. Although I faced the usual barrage of concerned looks once I appeared through in the doors of that church, they've continued to offer friendship, spiritual leadership, and even the opportunity for me to preach to kick off the Advent season. If you want to hear what I had to share, click here.


1. Unexpected Friendships

Loneliness is the hardest side effect of a season of transition. As a single guy, it's easy to be painfully self-aware of my relationship status, especially as some of my closest friends make lifelong commitments to each other. I've had the privilege of being closely involved in three of such weddings in the past six months, which (unsurprisingly) offer the chance to reconnect with close friends from my college years. As an extrovert, I've had to prepare myself emotionally for the crash that I experience after such fun events. As I return to the routine of daily life, there aren't often occasions for deep conversation and reconnection with those relationships that sustained me through college and I will cherish for years. Thus there is always a bittersweet tinge to these reunions, for we know that we'll never return to the days gone by where we shared intimate community. In addition, the friends I grew so close to in High School have also moved on to other places, leaving this place relatively deserted as far as community goes. That's why I'm so surprised by a few new friendships that I've been able to enjoy for this season in Roseville. One such friendship grew between another local InterVarsity staff and myself; we've connected over the complexities that arise from our ministry to community college students. That, and one notorious viral video from a certain Swedish musical duo. I also grew close to his roommate, who shares a love for musical worship and can really tear up a piano with all kinds of jazz-tinged gospel flavors. We spent several sessions together challenging each other as musicians. For a taste of the tunes we picked, check out Salvador's version of "My Desire" and "Big" as performed by the Full Gospel Baptist Fellowship International Choir. I know that whenever I sojourn back to Roseville, I'll have good friends waiting for me. 

So here's to a new adventure, here's to waiting until the opportune moment. Here's to a Big God and a big future. And thank you, cherished reader, for joining me on the journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Failure: Part II

Ex Machina: Pure Postmodern Filmmaking

The Best of the 90s: Songs