Sunlight

Sunrise at Haleakala, Maui.


Sunlight screams into my eyes,
The heat melting any illusions
Or ghosts that haunted me before I awoke.
Still my heart longs for the day
When listlessness will be replaced by Memory Intact
And the breaths come easier, freed
From yokes of self-constructed shackles.

The thrust of my regret keeps jabbing
Inward, deeper, to the center
Of great Longing, where all doubts gather
And pool at the feet of my Memory,
The tower that I long to tackle yet never
Seem to surmount, its lofty heights
Climbing beyond the first breaths of the dawn.

And then the Rest returns:
That great awakening in my mind,
Where once I failed to understand all
Now the hopes and dreams come screaming
back, yes back! Again is my hope kindled.
Alive am I, a man - fear need not hinder me,
Let it fade beneath a soft, swift sunrise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Failure: Part II

Ex Machina: Pure Postmodern Filmmaking

The Best of the 90s: Songs