On 2011: A Year in Review

2011 had many highs and lows, many places travelled, and many good times to be had. Here are some memorable highlights that mark my year.

Favorite Album: Bon Iver: Bon Iver


There's already a lot that's been said about this sophomore effort by our heartbroken hermit-turned-musician friend Justin Vernon, and so I won't add any commentary of my own. I will say that I truly enjoyed it as my favorite music to unwind to on the drive home from Santa Maria late at night. I recommend a curving night highway or an overcast day to let these melodies and electro-acoustic soundscapes wash through your ears.

Honorable Mention: Fleet Foxes: Helplessness Blues; The National: High Violet; New York Hymns: Songs for Lent.


Favorite Travel Spot 2011: Sandia Mountains, New Mexico

I was in New Mexico twice this summer, the first time for my staff training with InterVarsity (along with new interns from all the western states), and the second time with my family. Since the place is basically my extended homeland (both parents have family ties there), there wasn't much I hadn't seen. But my brother and I decided to break the pattern and climb the face of Sandia Crest, the massive 10,700 foot peak that rises over Albuquerque, via an 8-mile trail through amazing scenery. We started in the characteristic pinyon-jumiper woodland and found ourselves amidst fir and pine at the top, nearly delirious, 4 hours and 4,000 feet later. A bit of advice if you plan on doing the trail (called the La Luz Trail): wear better shoes than I did; all I had on were Vans. Once Josh and I reached the top, the situation merited some recognition (in the form of the video below).


Honorable Mention: Grand Canyon, AZ: July; Santa Fe, NM, July and August.


Favorite Movie: Of Gods and Men (Des hommes et des dieux)

Tons of deep dialogue, a true story about a group of monks who were martyred, and a well acted cast all make for good drama and a story I watched multiple times upon its release. If you can handle subtitles (the movie is in French and Arabic), I want to invite you to witness a story that you won't soon forget. Follow the link above to watch the trailer.

Honorable Mention: Shutter Island, The Guard, The Tree of Life

Favorite Book: George R.R. Martin: A Game of Thones
High Fantasy, well imagined and full of lively characters that blur the lines between good and evil. It is dark, graphic, brutal, and thoroghly addicting. I'll be into Martin for awhile, I think, considering there are four more books in the series for me to storm through. Forget Twilight, forget Hunger Games. This is a grown up fairy tale, one you shouldn't let your kids read! You will notice, however, that the other books I've listed are all Christian devotionals, so don't worry about me too much (!).

Honorable Mention: A Long Obedience, The Human Condition, From Wild Man to Wise Man.


Here's to a great 2012!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Failure: Part II

Ex Machina: Pure Postmodern Filmmaking

The Best of the 90s: Songs