Saint Francis Moments



I know I've crossed the line into abstract absurdity when I find myself reflecting existentially on my relationship to a guy who has been dead for 800 years.

I'll let you into my life during my last quarter as an undergrad. The conversation I had with myself goes something like this:

Me: Why is it so hard to appreciate anything when I'm so busy? Yesterday I had class until 2, drove to Santa Maria and stayed there until 10:30, and then came back to a pile of projects and commitments to hammer out late into the night.

Myself: Man, that was a rough day. But the sun still shines, gives life to us all, and the grass turns green beneath my feet without me working to make it that way. 

Me: Yeah, that's right. Way to have a Saint Francis moment, there, man.

Myself: How cool is that?


Like many western believers, I find something compelling about Saint Francis, something that stimulates my own desire to radically follow Jesus into the unexpected. His example blurs the lines between riches and poverty, incarnational ministry and travel, and firmly asserts that the love of God reigns victorious over war, death, and all our suffering. In this way I am comforted that there have been some people who exemplify the courage that Jesus showed each day during His ministry, and that we aren't disconnected from this reality because of His divinity, left to worry frantically about the leftovers that we carry. This makes His promises that if we seek His kingdom first, all the rest will follow (Luke 12:31).

I get to see this as I work with the students in Santa Maria, where I cannot measure the results on tables or calculate the success rates using criteria of my design.

Sure, Francis was a preaching, traveling fool, and I steward way more material wealth than he did at age 22. That won't stop me from deeply appreciating each moment I see my cry of frustration turn into a reason for praise along the journey. This joy rises now, as we say together during this Advent season "Come, Lord Jesus."

 Or maybe I'm just happy that I've finally graduated college!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Failure: Part II

Ex Machina: Pure Postmodern Filmmaking

The Best of the 90s: Songs