On Generosity

Disclaimer: This week I might seem a bit heavy handed, but it's an important topic and one that I must discuss frankly in order to maintain my own integrity. Thanks for your graciousness. 

Our culture has a problem. A big one. For all the technology, food, and information that we can acquire literally at our fingertips, a vast moral gulf has emerged between us and the developing world. Although such morality can't be quantified or tested in any empirical way, we have clues to help us out and sober our perspective on our global community. Generosity, measured by giving, is one such way that I get to see up close both the joy and sorrow of our condition. Now, rather than jump on the rock in the Areopagus and pontificate, or decry Mammon like others seem to relish, I'll simply share some of my encounters since becoming a missionary responsible for raising my own support. As someone utterly dependent on the generosity of others, I feel I'm somewhat qualified to comment. These are some of the more dramatic incidents that have burned their way into my memory whenever I hear the word "stewardship."

A couple involved in my teenage formation increases in generosity, giving beyond their means even with three small children.

Friends decide not to support because they choose to buy a house and make mortgage payments instead.

Several anonymous donors give hundreds of dollars each year.

Expense vacations are chosen while their church community flounders at home, and my support dwindles to a single, small donation per year.

Fellow missionaries have to pull their kids out of college, and we begin to pray for our God to provide in miraculous ways. 


Paul writes to the church in Corinth, after a lengthy admonishment on their failure to follow through on supporting his mission to Rome:

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each one should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound in you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. As it is written: 'He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor, his righteousness will endure forever.' Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. - 2 Corinthians 9:6-11.
That last verse is the key for me. We are made rich in order that we may be generous! How many would characterize our wealth in the west as congruent with generosity? Do we see our own resources in this way? In my experiences with InterVarsity, and my own support of missionaries and children served by such wonderful organizations as World Vision, Cru, Servant Partners, and others, every gift  has been met with gratitude from those I've supported, and the Lord has never left me in want. I cannot think of an individual who hasn't had a good experience giving (my condolences to those of you who fell for some scammer televangelist). It has brought joy to my heart to see both sides of the gift at work, for in our gift we get to mirror the great gift of Christ come down for all of us.

 All I can do now is give my thanks to you, yes, but also to our good and generous God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Failure: Part II

Ex Machina: Pure Postmodern Filmmaking

The Best of the 90s: Songs